A two-story Hoadley's Ice Cream was first built on this corner in 1904.  In 1908 a third floor was added to the building when it  became The Adler Hotel.  The south wing was built in 1912.  In 1913, the Commercial Appeal ran an ad for the Adler Hotel that claimed "We cater to couples and gentlemen / Strictly moral and modern ... Call bells in every room / Rates $1.00 per day, $1.50 with private bath."  

The strictly moral hotel (which wasn't the case with many hotels in South Main) remained open until 1974 and was then renovated and reopened in 1994 as the 22-unit Adler Apartments.   The units have their original window and door molding, along with original tiling in most bathrooms. Some of the windows also have original blown glass.  Note the  decorative arches on the north exterior of the north wing.  

The ground floor at this key gateway intersection is available for lease.

Click here for the complete tour of south Main
263 - 269 South Main, The Adler Hotel

Please contact us if you notice something incorrect or missing from this page at getdown@downtownmemphis.com or 901.575.0561