This elaborately ornamented Beaux Arts style building opened in 1910 as the Tri-Tone Drug Company and Jopling Perfumery with residences above.
In the 1960's Bessie Brewer used the top floor as a rooming house. On April 4, 1968, James Earl Ray fired the shot that killed Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. from a bathroom in room 5B that he rented in this building. During his getaway, Ray ditched a bag of his belongings, which included his rifle, in a green bag in front of Canipe Amusement Company at 424 South Main. The contents of the bag ultimately led the authorities to Ray.
Ray, who denied his involvement in the murder for 30 years, died in 1998 while serving a 99-year prison term.
Today the building serves as the gift shop and annex building for the National Civil Rights Museum.