Viewing entries tagged
BLOCK 4: TALBOT TO HULING
This building is one of the older buildings left in the District. Built in 1905, the site has been occupied by one of South Main's pioneers, Robert Johnson, since the early 1980's. Johnson is a fine woodwork craftsman who designs and handcrafts furniture for clients across the country.
Note Mr. Johnson's art display on the outside of the building. It's always a treat to see his new displays!
Read more about Robert Johnson
A former lumber warehouse, this 1910 building served as a photography studio in the mid-1980s and is now a popular Italian restaurant, Spindini.
These matched buildings were under construction in 1905. They subsequently housed several businesses, including in 1913, the Paris Dress Store. The beautifully conceived tripartite arched windows with prominent keystones inspired the logo for the South Main Street Historic District. Also, note the unusual circular attic vents with keystones.
The building was renovated in 1986 into eight apartments.
Built in 1910, this building served as a Fred P. Gattas department store until it closed in October 1975. In 1996, Linda and Bill Felts purchased old F. P. Gattas warehouse for $250,000 that had been for years boarded up. Linda's design firm and a large antique shop was there for 8 years until they sold their building to investors from New York and New Jersey who planned to do condominiums. The buyers actually ended up losing the building and the entire property was sold for a private residence. The 20,000-sf property is now back on the market for almost $5 million.